London Crockery Manufacturing Company
November 1886 – March 1888
The London Crockery Manufacturing Company received its letters patent in November 1886 with initial shareholders listed as William Glass, S.F Glass, William Gray, Frank H. Butler, and Charles S. Hyman.
The new pottery built by the firm cost a reported $70,000 and employed some 75 men. A report in the London Advertiser of February 1887 stated that the firm was the largest Rockingham and stoneware pottery in Canada. The business continued to manufacture many of the same items that Gray & Glass had produced in Tilsonburg.
Despite the glowing newspaper accounts, by March 22nd, 1888 the firm was deep in debt and the company was liquidated by public auction.
William Gray would leave the business, as would James Wooton. The departure of these men would sever the Tilsonburg connection to the London pottery.
The pottery would continue however, as S. F. Glass repurchased the business at the public auction for $21,500, reopening under the name of Glass Brothers & Co. Brothers, S.F. Glass and John H. Glass would operate the business until a disastrous fire on February 22, 1897. Losses were estimated at $46,500.00 with the brothers having only $8,000 of insurance. This loss permanently closed the pottery.